Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Court House
Powhatan County, Powhatan, Virginia
1848-1849 was erected by order of court
in quarterly session entered on
the 6th day of March 1848
whereby for that purpose were appointed commissioners
John W. Nash - Wm. S. Dance
R.F. Graves - Philip St. George Cocke
The First Court House
1778 or thereabouts was erected at Scottville
here, and 1796 the adjacent brick building standing
in which was the office of Clerk of Court until 1950
1777 when the county was formed
Richard Ligon furnished the plat (1723 patent land) for
The Court House Square
This tablet was erected by the Board of Supervisors 1951
Erected 1951 by Powhatan County Board of Supervisors.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1848.
Location. 37° 32.504′ N, 77° 55.114′ W. Marker is in Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker can be reached from Old Buckingham Road (Virginia Route 13) 0.1 miles south of Courthouse Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Memorial to Powhatan Servicemen (a few steps from this marker); Powhatan Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Powhatan Court House (a few steps from this marker); The Powhatan Troop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Courthouse Tavern / Atkinson's Hotel / The Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Giles's Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pocahontas High School (approx. 2 miles away); Mohemenco (A Monacan Village) and Drake House (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Powhatan.
Also see . . . Powhatan Court House Historic District. National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on November 11, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.