Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Washington in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Oil House

 
 
Oil House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devon Polzar, 2020
1. Oil House Marker
Inscription.  The oil house was built in 1894 when the Lighthouse Service began using more flammable fuel in the lamps, and it was no longer deemed safe to store this type of fuel inside the main dwelling. The oil house was torn down in 1934 and the bricks were used to rebuild the main chimney.

This area was excavated and the original foundation and footings were located. In 2004 the oil house was reconstructed on that foundation and is an exact replica. Some of the 1894 bricks are visible in the main chimney in the lighthouse attic, as well as around the perimeter of the oil house where they are used as a splash guard, and a few original bricks are displayed inside the oil house.
 
Erected by Port Washington Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 43° 23.464′ N, 87° 52.049′ W. Marker is in Port Washington, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of East Van Buren Street and Johnson Street, on the right when traveling west on East
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Van Buren Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 Johnson St, Port Washington WI 53074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Well (here, next to this marker); The Lights of Port Washington (a few steps from this marker); Northerner (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Washington Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Cistern (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakeside Brewery Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodland Habitat (about 300 feet away); St. Mary's Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Washington.
 
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the 1860 Light Station, operated by the Port Washington Historical Society, next to the oil house on the east end of the property.
 
Oil House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devon Polzar, 2020
2. Oil House Marker
Oil House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devon Polzar, 2020
3. Oil House
1860 Light Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devon Polzar, 2020
4. 1860 Light Station
1860 Light Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devon Polzar, 2020
5. 1860 Light Station
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2021, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 10, 2021, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183493

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024