Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas in Coffee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tanner Mercantile Company

 
 
Tanner Mercantile Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, October 10, 2021
1. Tanner Mercantile Company Marker
Inscription.  Circa 1902. Original location of Tanner Mercantile Company owned and operated by Berry Hampton Tanner, prominent business and civic leader in Coffee County (1861-1920). First building in Douglas constructed from locally manufactured brick by Tim Tanner and R.V. Day.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 31° 30.528′ N, 82° 50.973′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Georgia, in Coffee County. Marker is on East Ward Street (Georgia Route 32) just west of North Madison Avenue (U.S. 441), on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the northeast corner of the subject building, facing East Ward Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 East Ward Street, Douglas GA 31533, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Tanner Mercantile Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Coffee County Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Coffee County Confederate Monument
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Coffee County (about 300 feet away); Tri - Hi - Y International (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Coffee County (about 300 feet away); Douglas Surgical Institute and Infirmary (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
 
Regarding Tanner Mercantile Company. Contributing property, Downtown Douglas Historic District, NRHP #93000941.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Tanner Mercantile Company Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, October 10, 2021
2. Tanner Mercantile Company Building
(looking southwest across East Ward Street • marker visible near left/east corner)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183636

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024