Fischer in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Following the Civil War, more settlers moved to this region and Hermann established a mercantile business out of his home. In 1855, Hermann married Anna Lindemann (1837-1921). Both his business and family grew quickly and soon the cabin became too small. In the 1870s, the store moved to its second location, a larger building which included a saloon and a post office for "Fischer's Store." The store was the social and economic center of the community and helped settlers acclimate to the new area.
In 1902, the current store was built by Hermann Fischer II (1866-1931), and Willie Fischer (1868-1958), selling a wide range of merchandise from small household items to large farm equipment. The building construction features Juniper (Mountain Cedar) piers, Long Leaf Pine beams, tin siding and six-over-six double-hung
The original post office equipment and telephone booth remain as a reminder of the building's initial purpose. As the namesake and heart of the community, Fischer Store is a classic example of an early 20th century rural mercantile.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2016
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18380.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 29° 58.62′ N, 98° 16.01′ W. Marker is in Fischer, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 484 and Fischer Store Road, on the left when traveling east on Highway 484. The marker is located at the entrance to the store on the left side. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4040 FM 484, Fischer TX 78623, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fischer Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Agricultural Society of Fischer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Mary's Help of Christians Catholic Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); John R. Dobie HouseThe Century-Old Wimberley Cemetery (approx. 10.6 miles away); Old Blanco County Courthouse (approx. 12˝ miles away); Smithson Valley Cemetery (approx. 12˝ miles away); Specht's Crossing (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fischer.
Also see . . . Fischer, TX.
Fischer, twenty miles northwest of New Braunfels in the Hill Country of northern Comal County, developed in the 1850s as a supply center on the Devil's Backbone section of the road between San Marcos and Blanco. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on October 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.