Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Herman W. Lay Physical Activities Center
Herman Warden Lay
Entrepreneural genius of the business world, leader in civic and cultural affairs, friend and benefactor of higher education, loyal alumnus of Furman University.
Location. 34° 55.267′ N, 82° 26.35′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is located on the east facade of the building, facing the west end of Furman Mall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville SC 29617, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Furman Men Who Gave Their Lives in the World War (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene E. Stone III Soccer Stadium (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Furman University World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); Poteat Hall (about 700 feet away); Geer Hall (about 700 feet away); Marshall E. and Vera Lea Rinker Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herman N. Hipp Hall Charles H. Townes Center for Science (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milford Mall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beatrice Dennis Plyler Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . .
1. Herman Lay. Herman W. Lay (1909 – 1982) was a Nashville, Tennessee, USA businessman who started H.W. Lay Co., Inc., now part of the Frito-Lay corporation. (Submitted on April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Herman W Lay Presentation. Herman Warden Lay was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, on June 3, 1901. (Submitted on April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Herman W. Lay Memorial Award. The Herman W. Lay Memorial Award does more than recognize one of the founders of our organization. (Submitted on April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Furman University. Official website of Furman University. (Submitted on April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Herman W. Lay Obituary, St. Petersburg Times, Dec. 7, 1982
DALLAS -- Herman W. Lay, cofounder
He was born in Charlotte, N.C. on June 3, 1909 ad attended Furman University in Greenville, S.C.
He began his business career in Nashville in 1932 as an independent distributor for an Atlanta-based snack food manufacturer.
In 1939, he purchased the Georgia Snack Food Co. and founded H.W. Lay and Co.
Sales of the company's potato chips grew rapidly, and in 1961 the company merged with Frito Co. of Dallas to form Frito-Lay Inc. Mr. Lay was named president of the new company and became chairman of the board in 1964.
In 1965, Frito-Lay merged with Pepsi-Cola Co. to form Pepsico Inc. Mr. Lay was elected chairman of the board of the new company.
Mr. Lay became chairman of the executive committee of Pepsico in 1971 and retained that position until his retirement in 1980.
After his retirement, Mr. Lay organized several family corporations engaged in real estate, oil and gas exploration and the manufacture of State Farm brand frozen food products.
— Submitted April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Sports •
More. Search the internet for Herman W. Lay Physical Activities Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,872 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.