Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Texas Collection
Established in 1923 when Dr. Kenneth Hazen Aynesworth donated books to Baylor University, the Texas Collection is a library and archives research center holding a vast compilation of materials about Texas. Dr. Aynesworth (1873-1944) was born in Florence (Williams Co.) and attended Baylor before graduating from the University of Texas Medical School in Galveston. Dr. Aynesworth opened a general surgery practice in Waco and served in numerous community, vocational and scholarly organizations. He was also an avid collector of materials about Texas. Worried that his collection could perish in the event of a house fire, Dr. Aynesworth donated approximately one thousand volumes to Baylor University in 1923. He soon donated a further one thousand volumes and three thousand pamphlets and documents to Baylor.
The donations expanded what was then a small section in Carroll Library containing books about Texas. Baylor staff sorted, organized, catalogued and assessed the new materials and soon, an entire room on the second floor of Carroll Library held the collection. The room also became the meeting place for Baylor's first course in Texas
The collection continued to expand throughout the years. In 1939, it was moved to Pat Neff Hall. In 1955, it returned to the Carroll Library, now on the third floor. In 1968, the materials moved into a larger area on the second floor. In 1994, after a renovation of Carroll Library, the extensive collection moved to an area specifically designed for it. Today, The Texas Collection continues to serve faculty, students, scholars and others as a world-class center of research in Texana topics.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15029.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 31° 32.722′ N, 97° 7.149′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker can be reached from Speight Avenue east of South 7th Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located in front of the Carroll Library in the Burleson Quadrangle at Baylor University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waco TX 76706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Burleson and Early Female Education at Baylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Burleson Quadrangle (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Main (within shouting distance of this marker); Baylor University (approx. 0.2 miles away); William McKendree Lambdin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robertson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Veterans Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
Also see . . .
1. The Texas Collection & University Archives. (Submitted on October 13, 2021, by Kevin Hoch of Waco, Texas.)
2. The Texas Collection at Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 13, 2021, by Kevin Hoch of Waco, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2021, by Kevin Hoch of Waco, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 13, 2021, by Kevin Hoch of Waco, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?