Pilot Point in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pilot Point Post-Signal
First published as the "Pilot Point Post," this newspaper was established in 1878 by David J. Moffitt (1848-1917) and James T. Jones (1845-1915). In its early years, "The Post" supported the Democratic party and local commerce and opposed the lawless element in town. Between 1888 and 1898 "The Post" merged with "The Mirror" and then with "The Signal" and has operated since then as the "Pilot Point Post-Signal". As Denton County's oldest continuing newspaper, "The Post-Signal" has played a significant role in bringing news to the community and surrounding areas.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4022.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
Location. 33° 23.797′ N, 96° 57.599′ W. Marker is in Pilot Point, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on East Main Street west of South Church Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 East Main Street, Pilot Point TX 76258, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within City of Pilot Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pilot Point Church of Christ (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Belew Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); First Christian Church of Aubrey (approx. 6.3 miles away); Elm Fork Bridge (approx. 7.8 miles away); Green Valley Schools (approx. 8.3 miles away); Celina Historic Square (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pilot Point.
Regarding Pilot Point Post-Signal. The oldest continuously published newspaper in Denton County was established in 1878 in Pilot Point, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.