Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomington in McLean County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House

 
 
Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
1. Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House Marker
Inscription.  
604 E. Grove St.
Lucius T. and Arabella
Bruner Wilcox House

Queen Anne
Architectural Style, 1894

Lucius, a dry goods merchant, was his own contractor and
built this house for $5500.

Arabella grew up in the neighborhood and her sister, Clara Cox,
lived at 701. Her father owned a lumber yard in the 500 block.

 
Erected by Dimmitt's Grove Neighborhood Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 40° 28.684′ N, 88° 59.197′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Illinois, in McLean County. Marker is on East Grove Street east of South Evans Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 E Grove St, Bloomington IL 61701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel & Electa Bishop House (a few steps from this marker); Sain & Gertrude Welty House (within shouting distance of this marker); Phillip & Sophia Young House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Ruben & Laura Benjamin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene and Mary Funk House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Augustus & Jennie Elbe House (about 300 feet away); George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House (about 300 feet away); John & Matilda Heffernan House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
 
Regarding Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House. Excerpt from East Grove Street Architectural/Historical Survey by Greg Koos (1985):
… Lucius T. Wilcox was a dry-goods merchant. His store was located in downtown Bloomington. As a measure of his success he took out a building permit for the structure in 1893 for a house to cost $5,000. He also employed Cyrenius Russell to frescoe the interior.
 
Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
2. Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183771

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024