Denison in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cold Springs Log Cabin School
Pioneers, who were camped near a spring on property of William S. Reeves (1794-1879) while waiting for their land grants, built this one-room schoolhouse about 1855. The leader of the group was William L. Holder (1820-1876), who migrated to Grayson county from Missouri. His son Clinton L. (1845-1897) Later used the cabin as a residence. In 1974 the structure was moved to the old settlers village and restored.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7352.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 33° 43.881′ N, 96° 35.297′ W. Marker is in Denison, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker can be reached from RC Vaughan Road north of West Loy Lake Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker and cabin are located on the grounds of the Grayson County Frontier Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 RC Vaughan Road, Denison TX 75020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Fitzgerald Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Bass Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Davis-Ansley Log Cabin Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jesse Elvis Hendricks Log Cabin (about 500 feet away); Thompson House (about 600 feet away); The Civilian Conservation Corps at Loy Park (about 700 feet away); Sand Springs (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mayes House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denison.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.