Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomington in McLean County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Phillip & Sophia Young House

 
 
Phillip & Sophia Young House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
1. Phillip & Sophia Young House Marker
Inscription.  
609/11 E. Grove St.
Phillip & Sophia
Young House

West Half Built c. 1855
Greek Revival Architectural Style

East side addition by architect Arthur Pillsbury was built
in 1904 to provide income for widow Anna Perrigo.

Phillip Young was a diagnosing
pharmacist and preacher.

 
Erected by Dimmitt's Grove Neighborhood Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 40° 28.671′ N, 88° 59.175′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Illinois, in McLean County. Marker is on East Grove Street west of South Clayton Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609/11 E Grove St, Bloomington IL 61701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sain & Gertrude Welty House (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel & Electa Bishop House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House (within shouting distance of this marker); Augustus & Jennie Elbe House (within shouting distance of this marker); John & Matilda Heffernan House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ruben & Laura Benjamin House (about 300 feet away); Eugene and Mary Funk House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
 
Regarding Phillip & Sophia Young House. Excerpt from East Grove Street Architectural/Historical Survey by Greg Koos (1985):
… Dr. P.G. Young was born in Virginia in 1810 and came to Bloomington in 1848 accompanied by his wife and six children. Young was not a medical doctor but rather was a diagnosing pharmacist and advertised his business widely. By 1850 he was also serving as a preacher and maintained both professions up to the Civil War. The house had a variety of occupants up to 1891 when Mr. and Mrs. Charles Perrigo obtained the structure. Upon the death of Mr. Perrigo, Mrs. Perrigo had the building expanded in 1904, undoubtedly to provide her with secure income
Phillip & Sophia Young House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
2. Phillip & Sophia Young House Marker
in a period without government social programs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183823

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024