Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomington in McLean County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House

 
 
George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
1. George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House Marker
Inscription.  
701 E. Grove St.
George H. and Clara
Bruner Cox House

George Miller, Architect
Queen Anne Architectural Style, 1886

George Cox ran the Hungarian Roller Mills.
Clara grew up in the neighborhood.

Dr. Jane Marie Lee restored the house in 1983 and had it listed on
the National Registry. It has over 100 windows and 8 fireplaces.

 
Erected by Dimmitt's Grove Neighborhood Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
 
Location. 40° 28.674′ N, 88° 59.133′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Illinois, in McLean County. Marker is at the intersection of East Grove Street and South Clayton Street, on the right when traveling east on East Grove Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 E Grove St, Bloomington IL 61701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augustus & Jennie Elbe House (a few steps from this marker); John & Matilda Heffernan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Phillip & Sophia Young House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Sain & Gertrude Welty House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucius T. and Arabella Bruner Wilcox House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel & Electa Bishop House (about 300 feet away); Ruben & Laura Benjamin House (about 500 feet away); Eugene and Mary Funk House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
 
Regarding George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House. Excerpt from East Grove Street Architectural/Historical Survey by Greg Koos (1985), quoting the National Register of Historic Places nomination:
… George H. Cox was a descendent of David Cox, an early settler in Bloomington Grove in 1826. Cox had come from Ohio, and his livelihood was farming and stockraising. The Cox family was prestigious and one of the oldest in Bloomington.


George H. Cox was the Secretary-Treasurer and General Manager of the Hungarian Roller Mill Company, a prominent westside landmark of Bloomington, owned by his brother Thomas J. Cox. George was also a business partner of William Hasenwinkle, with whom
George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
2. George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House Marker
he owned a flour mill and other business interests. He was a board member of the Corn Belt Bank and a leader of the First Presbyterian Church. He married and had two children, at least one of whom, Herman, attended a local college.

 
Also see . . .  George H. Cox House. Wikipedia entry about the house. (Submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
3. George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House
View looking eastward across South Clayton Street.
George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House Secondary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
4. George H. & Clara Bruner Cox House Secondary Marker
Marker reads:
Gift to the street
1886
Old House Society
of Bloomington-Normal
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183825

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 22, 2024