Kenton in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Erected 1812, by Colonel
Duncan McArthur, as one
of the forts along the line
of General Hull's march
against the British head-
quarters at Detroit.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C35.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 38.836′ N, 83° 36.554′ W. Marker is in Kenton, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker is on North Detroit Street (U.S. 68) near East Franklin Street (Ohio Route 309), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenton OH 43326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hardin County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Liberty Garden" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mad River Railroad (about 700 feet away); Pioneer Cemetery Kenton Hardware Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hardin County Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardin County War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardin County Viet Nam Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenton.
More about this marker. Although this historical marker is located in downtown Kenton, Ohio, on the front lawn of the Hardin County Courthouse, it is not situated at the actual site of Fort McArthur. The actual location of this War of 1812 era fortification is about 3 miles, to the WSW, outside of town, on the banks of the Scioto River.
This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, and presumed to be permanently lost.
Regarding Fort McArthur. Shortly before the start of the War of 1812 the American General William Hull, the commander of the American fortification on Michigan's border with Canada (located in Detroit), believed that unless his position was reinforced with additional troops, that his command would be in serious trouble once the war finally got under way. So he took it upon himself to travel down to southern Ohio in order to raise those additional troops.
As soon as General Hull had raised himself an army of soldiers, he began to march northward from Urbana, Ohio. Since much of the territory between Urbana and Detroit was a hostile wilderness through both territory controlled by pro-British Native Americans and an inhospitable region know as the Black Swamp, General Hull built a string of fortifications, along his route, in order to protect his lines of supply and communication. One
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Hull's Road. This is a link to information provided by Ohio History Central, an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on August 13, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for Fort McArthur.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,626 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on June 27, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.