Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico — The Pacific Coast (and Central Highlands)
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Desde principios del siglo XVIII se oficializó el culto guadalupano en la ciudad de Valladolid por lo que, al parecer, se inicia la construcción del Santuario de Gudalupe en 1708 y se concluye en 1716; esta obra corrió por cuenta del obispo de Michoacán Garcia Felipe de Legaspi y Velasco; tiempo después, en 1747, fue cedido a la provincia de San Diego de Franciscanos Descalzos de México.
Para 1732, el templo ya se encontraba adornado con blandones, lámparas,vidrieras; además, se contaba con una hermosa calzada de cantería gue partía del Acueducto el poniente y terminaba en la puerta principal del templo. Estas obras se realizaron con la magnificencia característica del Obispo José Escalona y Calatayud.
Para 1777 se cambia la planta rectangular del templo al anexársele el crucero y el presbiterio, tomando así la forma de una cruz latina. Durante el primer tercio del siglo XIX, el arquitecto Nicolás Luna modifica el interior, levantando el altar que actualmente luce en el ábside. A principios del siglo XX el interior del templo fue decorado por el maestro Joaquín Horta
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Guadalupe
From the beginning of the 18th Century Veneration Our Lady of Guadalupe was approved and widespread in the city of Valladolid, this seems to be the reason why this church was built; construction began in 1708 and was completed in 1716. The person in charge of construction was Garcia Felipe de Legaspi y Velasco, Bishop of Michoacan. Sometime later, around 1747, the church was turned over to the province of San Diego and the monks of the Franciscan Order of Mexico.
By 1732, the church had already been adorned with candlesticks, lamps and stained glass windows, and there was a beautiful quarry stone promenade that began at the aqueduct on the west and went all the way to the Church's main entrance. The construction of this promenade was completed through the inspiring generosity of Bishop Jose Escalona y Calatayud.
By 1777, some changes had been made to the main body of the church: the transept and the presbytery were added and by so doing the church was no longer rectangular but shaped like a latin cross. During the first 35 years of the 19th Century, architect Nicolas Luna made some changes to the interior of the church; he built the altar which still stands by the apse. At the beginning of the 20th Century, master Joaquin
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1708.
Location. 19° 42.06′ N, 101° 10.665′ W. Marker is in Morelia, Michoacán. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida Tata Vasco and Calzada Fray Antonio de San Miguel, on the right when traveling north on Avenida Tata Vasco. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morelia MIC 58230, Mexico. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General José María Morelos y Pavón (within shouting distance of this marker); José María Morelos y Pavón (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named José María Morelos y Pavón (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Contemporary Art Museum Alfredo Zalce (about 210 meters away); Cuauhtémoc Forest (about 240 meters away); Manuel Martínez Solórzano Natural History Museum (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Cuauhtémoc (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Isaac Arriaga (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morelia.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 15, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.