Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Holy Rosary - Danish Church Historic District
Area became Indiana’s largest continuously occupied Italian neighborhood. Sicilians opened nearby produce businesses. District, containing mainly working-class cottages, includes Trinity Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church built 1872, Horace Mann Public School built 1873, and Holy Rosary Catholic Church built 1911–1925. District listed in National Register of Historic Places 1986.
Erected 2000 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Italian Heritage Society of Indiana. (Marker Number 49.2000.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 39° 45.473′ N, 86° 8.958′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Indianapolis IN 46203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 28th Regiment USCT (approx. ¼ mile away); Calvin Fletcher (approx. ¼ mile away); Hook's Drug Stores (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Muir in Indianapolis (approx. 0.6 miles away); What Was the Wholesale District? (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fallen Deputy Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Lilly Family (approx. 0.6 miles away); John W. Murphy Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,353 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.