Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denison in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sand Springs

(About 100 yards north)

 
 
Sand Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, June 19, 2021
1. Sand Springs Marker
Inscription.  

A noted watering place on pioneer trails, known as early as 1840 to settlers and prospectors who camped near the strong currents of water boiling up at the foot of a rocky bluff. The sandstone of the bluff's face became an inscription rock, in which travelers carved names or initials and dates of their visits, sometimes to assure friends or relatives who were to follow later over the same trail.

A campsite for prospectors, including California-bound gold seekers passing this way, 1849-1850s. The spot was mapped in 1857 as a watering spot for the southern overland mail coaches of John Butterfield, racing from Saint Louis to San Francisco. After the Civil War (1861-65), many cattle herds passed this way for water while being driven north to market.

When Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad was built to Denison townsite in 1872, Sand Springs gained new importance, feeding Waterloo Lake. Built in late 1800s and used for many years (Prior to 1908) as city's main water supply. But the old campsites were inundated. Other steps in man's progress reduced flow of the water. The area remained a Popular Picnic ground for years.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Its history is revealed by the weathered carvings still visible on the inscription rocks.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11532.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 33° 44.323′ N, 96° 34.096′ W. Marker is in Denison, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is on Park Avenue north of Loy Lake Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at the end of Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denison TX 75020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mayes House (approx. one mile away); Jesse Elvis Hendricks Log Cabin (approx. 1.2 miles away); Thompson House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps at Loy Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Fitzgerald Home (approx. 1.2 miles away); Davis-Ansley Log Cabin Home (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cold Springs Log Cabin School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Bass Home (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denison.
 
Sand Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Armstrong, June 19, 2021
2. Sand Springs Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 16, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183906

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024