Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Old Library Building
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries 📚 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 17, 1905.
Location. 35° 2.822′ N, 85° 18.445′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of East 8th Street and Georgia Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E 8th St, Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ochs/Times Building (a few steps from this marker); Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul (within shouting distance of this marker); First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); Abby Crawford Milton (about Military History of Chattanooga (about 500 feet away); Hamilton County (about 700 feet away); Martin Hotel (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Old Library Building. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
… As was true throughout the country at the turn of the century, Carnegie money initiated the building of a public library in Chattanooga. The first library in the city was established in 1867. There was no building designed specifically for library use until Carnegie offered $50,000 if the city provided a suitable lot and promised an annual appropriation of ten percent of the amount of the gift.
The city met the requirements and in 1903 construction began. Atlanta architect W. T. Bowling was employed to design the library but was soon discharged and replaced by Chattanooga architects, Hunt and Rear4on. On April 15, 190M-, the cornerstone was laid, and the formal opening took place on July 17, 1905. The library cost a total of $65,000, including $15,000 for the lot purchased from the Catholic Church, $33,000 for the building itself, and $17,000 for furnishings.
In 1940, the library was moved to a building adjoining the campus of the University of Chattanooga, now the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. …
Also see . . .
1. Asset Detail | Old Library Building. National Register nomination (PDF) and photographs (PDF) submitted for the site in 1972. (Submitted on October 18, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
2. Historic Carnegie Library Gets New Owners. The Chattanoogan article about the landmark building changing hands in October, 2020. Article includes a brief history of the building. (Submitted on October 18, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.