Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Milford Presbyterian Church

 
 
Milford Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
1. Milford Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  

Organized in June 1855 with 16 members, as one of 4 Presbyterian churches within a radius of 500 miles. Early, horseback-traveling pastors organized and served 3 churches in outlying areas. Congregation built houses of worship in 1860, 1896, 1921. This church was 4 times host to the Presbytery, 1861-71; to Synod, 1920. Records show Milford has been self-sustaining, faithful to support Presbyterian colleges of Texas, and high in benevolences. Church bell, cast in New York, and brought here by ship, rail and ox-wagon, has called area to worship since 1871.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7129.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 32° 7.405′ N, 96° 56.824′ W. Marker is in Milford, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on South Main Street north of Dickson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 S Main Street, Milford TX 76670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint James A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Milford Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); James McDaniel (approx. half a mile away); Thomas J. Jordan (approx. half a mile away); Hammel's Branch (approx. 3.2 miles away); Italy Colored City Hall (approx. 5 miles away); Mertens Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
Milford Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
2. Milford Presbyterian Church and Marker
Milford Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
3. Milford Presbyterian Church and Marker
Milford Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
4. Milford Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184175

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024