Moraga in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Moraga Train Station
On this site was the Moraga Train Station of the Sacramento Northern Railway, a 183-mile railway that connected Oakland and Chico via Sacramento, handling passengers and freight. The station served Moraga Valley from 1913 to 1957.
Dedicated October 1, 2021
Troop 212 Eagle Project, Mason Fara
Erected 2021 by Mason Fara.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 37° 50.048′ N, 122° 7.816′ W. Marker is in Moraga, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Vlader Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moraga CA 94556, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moraga Barn (a few steps from this marker); Old Moraga Townsite (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Willow Spring School II (about 700 feet away); Joseph Joachin Moraga (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hacienda de las Flores (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Joaquin Moraga AdobeMoraga Station (approx. 2 miles away); Rainbow Trout Species Identified (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraga.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted to a low rock on Vlader Drive, behind (i.e. the north side of) the hardware store.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Site of railroad's Moraga Station receives commemorative plaque (Lamorinda Weekly, 10/13/2021).
Excerpt: "Moraga Station's last scheduled passenger train departed on June 22, 1941. Freight service continued for nearly 16 years until February 28, 1957 when shortly thereafter both the station and railroad tracks were demolished.(Submitted on October 20, 2021.)
There were 14 stops along the Sacramento Northern's electric train route that was located within Moraga's historic Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados. Beginning with Eastport (a corporation yard), Wilcox (a flag stop), Sequoia (originally a flag stop until passengers built a station), Canyon, Pinehurst, Valle Vista, Moraga No. 2 (the only depot on the rancho), Moraga No. 1 (near Willow Spring School), Country Club (originally called Cashion, later replaced by Saint Mary's College), Burton (a passenger station and loading platform), Glenside (flag stop), West Lafayette, Lafayette; and Ralez (Reliez). The completion of the entire Oakland to Sacramento line occurred at 2:24 a.m. on March 2, 1913, when a golden spike was installed in the track. The occasion was marked with an inaugural parade a month later."
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.