Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valley Forge in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of the Marquee

 
 
Site of the Marquee Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
1. Site of the Marquee Marker
Inscription.  
On this spot General Washington erected his campaign tent (marquee) when he entered Valley Forge December 19, 1777. He occupied this tent until December 24, 1777, when he moved his headquarters to the Potts House at the junction of Valley Creek and Schuylkill River.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list.
 
Location. 40° 5.766′ N, 75° 27.079′ W. Marker is in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on East Inner Line Drive, 0.1 miles south of Gulph Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the tour road in Valley Forge National Historical Park, approximately 300 yards past stop 7. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Phoenixville PA 19460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Camp’s Road System (approx. 0.2 miles away); Artillery Park (approx. ¼ mile away); A Pointed Defense (approx. ¼ mile away); New Jersey Brigade
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Sullivan’s Division (approx. ¼ mile away); Innerline Defense (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Innerline Defense (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valley Forge.
 
Also see . . .  Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker in Valley Forge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
2. Marker in Valley Forge
Marker on Inner Line Drive image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
3. Marker on Inner Line Drive
Washington's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
4. Washington's Headquarters
George Washington used the house of Isaac Potts as his headquarters after vacating his marquee. It is located about ½ mile northwest of the marker.
Washington's Marquee image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2008
5. Washington's Marquee
Washington's actual Marquee tent is on display at Yorktown National Historical Park. It is the only known remaining 18th century American officer's tent.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,049 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on October 20, 2021, by Lawrence W Lee Jr of Staten Island, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184243

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024