Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Northside in Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Widows and Orphans Friends’ Society

 
 
Side One: Widows and Orphans Friends' Society Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 22, 2007
1. Side One: Widows and Orphans Friends' Society Marker
Inscription.  Society created by Indianapolis Benevolent Society 1849 to provide relief for indigent widows and orphans; incorporated 1851 by Indiana General Assembly. Opened its first orphanage on this site 1855. White House Conference in 1909 focused attention on, and led to federal legislation and grants for, dependent children.

As public policy and funding evolved in the twentieth century, the Society changed its name, location, and specific functions as it strove to address the needs of children and families. Since 1961, organization has offered services as the Children’s Bureau of Indianapolis, Inc.
 
Erected 2003 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Children’s Bureau of Indianapolis, Inc. (Marker Number 49.2003.1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 39° 47.131′ N, 86° 9.669′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. It is in Near Northside. Marker is on Capitol Avenue. Located on the east side of Capitol Avenue, ½ block South of 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Indianapolis IN 46202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Stutz (approx. ¼ mile away); First Home of The Children’s Museum (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington Elm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indianapolis Propylaeum (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Home of Caroline Scott Harrison (approx. 0.4 miles away); T.C. Steele Studio and Herron (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
 
Side Two: Widows and Orphans Friends' Society Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 22, 2007
2. Side Two: Widows and Orphans Friends' Society Marker
Widows and Orphans Friends’ Society Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 22, 2007
3. Widows and Orphans Friends’ Society Marker
Lot where the Marker is located image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 22, 2007
4. Lot where the Marker is located
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,573 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1843

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 19, 2024