Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tishomingo in Johnston County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Johnston County Courthouse

 
 
Johnston County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 12, 2021
1. Johnston County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The history of the Johnston County Courthouse dates back to the beginning of Oklahoma statehood, November 16, 1907 when counties were formed. One of the 77 Oklahoma counties formed, Johnston County, needed a place to operate governmental business.

Johnston County government offices were housed in the United States District Court building which was a 2-story wooden structure that was located in the vicinity of where the parking lot for the county jail is today. County offices were relocated to the historic Chickasaw Capitol building starting in 1910 until 1992. The purchase price of the historic Chickasaw Capitol in 1910 was $7,500.00.

Construction of the present day 2-story building began in 1991 with its completion with the official dedication held May 23, 1993.

Using the sale of the Chickasaw Capitol building back to the Chickasaw Nation, those funds totaling $575,000.00 were invested by the county. County commissioners who completed the sale with Chickasaw Governor Bill Anoatubby were Willie Kirkpatrick, J.W. Reed and Guy Combs. When the official dedication took place, the Johnston County Courthouse was
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
completely debt free.

Elected county officials present at the dedication were: County commissioners: Pat Ferris, Mike Thompson, and Frank James; Dolores Muse was county clerk; Dortha Hales, treasurer; Judy Beavers, court clerk; Eugenia Wood, assessor; county sheriff, Jonathan Smith; excise board members, Clifford Anderson, Archie Ferris and Reginald Easterling.

The Johnston County Jail remained at the north side of the Capitol complex, until 2004 when it was added to the present day courthouse officially moving into the facility in December 2004, Jonathan Smith served as sheriff, and county commissioners were: Pat Ferris, Mike Thompson and Frank James.
 
Erected by Tishomingo Historic Memories Trail.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement. A significant historical date for this entry is May 23, 1993.
 
Location. 34° 14.217′ N, 96° 40.85′ W. Marker is in Tishomingo, Oklahoma, in Johnston County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 377) and North Capital Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. The marker is located on the southwestern section of the Johnston County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 West Main Street, Tishomingo OK 73460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Half-Century of 4-H Work (here, next to
The view of the Johnston County Courthouse and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 12, 2021
2. The view of the Johnston County Courthouse and Marker from the street
this marker); They Sought No Glory but Their Country's Good (here, next to this marker); Oklahoma Farmers Union (within shouting distance of this marker); Piominko (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Man's Pledge of Peace (about 400 feet away); Chickasaw Nation Memorial (about 400 feet away); Chickasaw Capitol (about 500 feet away); Chief Tishomingo (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tishomingo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184348

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024