Near Hill City in Pennington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army built 48 200-man camps in South Dakota and provided food, clothing, medical care, pay and programs of education, recreation and religion for 23,709 enrollees (single men aged 17-25 who sent $25 of their $30 wage to their families) and war veterans. Camps and work projects were supervised by another 2834 men. The Office of Indian Affairs ran small units for 4554 American Indians.
Camp F-2 was part of a national CCC program to renovate forests and build more recreation areas. Work projects, supervised by the USDA Forest Service, included tree thinning, pruning and planting, fire prevention and suppression; rodent, disease and insect control; grazing land improvement and recreation area development. Enrollees renovated dead, diseased, suppressed and excess trees (used for posts, poles and firewood) from hundreds of acres of pine
Erected 1991 by CCC Alumni, the South Dakota State Historical Society, and the South Dakota Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 524.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series lists.
Location. 44° 0.109′ N, 103° 29.9′ W. Marker is near Hill City, South Dakota, in Pennington County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 385 and Horse Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 385. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hill City SD 57745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sheridan (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 4.7 miles away); Pactola Dam & Reservoir (approx. 5.1 miles away); Water for a Thirsty West (approx. "Work Call" (approx. 5.4 miles away); Not Just Any Old Railroad Line (approx. 5.9 miles away); Black Hills Central Railroad's Famous Engine #7 (approx. 6 miles away); The Steam Locomotive (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hill City.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. (other Civilian Conservation Corps Camp markers)
Additional keywords. Great Depression
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on October 22, 2021. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.