Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cooper Creek Cemetery
This burial ground is one of the last remaining remnants of a small rural community that dates back to before the Civil War. Settlers, including the Farris and Skaggs families, came to northeast Denton County in the 1860s. Like many rural areas, as the number of farms grew, the community found the need to establish a cemetery, school, and churches. A deed from 1878 evidences the establishment of the Cooper Creek Cemetery on this site.
The graves in Cooper Creek Cemetery chronicle the history of the community. The earliest marked grave is of Richard Kale, who died February 9, 1872. Local residents, civic leaders and early settlers are buried in the cemetery. Cooper Creek School's first trustees, James Farris, J.A. Templeton, and David Argo, are buried here. The cemetery also includes veterans of war. David Payne, who served in the 29th Texas Cavalry during the Civil War, and Lieutenant L.H. Owen, an Air Medal and Oak Cluster recipient of World War II, are both honored here. Unlike many cemeteries, the Cooper Creek Cemetery is not segregated by race or religion. The graves of Hispanic residents, such as Tiburcio Menchaca and the
Cooper Creek community has taken much pride in overseeing the cemetery for more than a hundred years. Residents have preserved important features of the cemetery, such as fencing and concrete curbing around family plots, through decoration days and fundraisers. Today, the Cooper Creek Cemetery Association cares for and maintains the cemetery, which continues to serve area residents.
Historic Texas Cemetery 2011
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17150.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
Location. 33° 14.456′ N, 97° 4.818′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Fishtrap Road near Copper Creek Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denton TX 76208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cooper Creek School (within shouting distance of this marker); Cooper Creek Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gregory Road Bridge at Duck Creek (approx. 2.6 miles away); Donald Road Bridge At South Hickory Creek (approx. 2.7 miles away); Saint James African Methodist Episcopal ChurchUniversity Gardens Texas Woman's University (approx. 2.9 miles away); The First Building of Texas Woman's University (approx. 3 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.