Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cooper Creek School
Although the Cooper Creek community was formally established in 1872, families began to settle the area before the Civil War. A land deed from that period set aside a portion of this property for the creation of a church, cemetery, and a school. In 1876, the Texas state legislature established a county school system that allowed groups of citizens to organize for the creation of a community school. That year, the Cooper Creek School formally organized in Denton County and a one room building on the site served 39 students. In 1919, the Cooper Creek community approved a bond, to be used in addition to state funds, for the construction of a new school building on the site. The simple, hip-roofed, wooden structure had four large rooms with wood burning stoves and included outhouses, a well, a barn, sheds and a three-acre garden behind the building
Cooper Creek School served as a center for community congregation and its history is closely tied to the local churches. Over the years, church parishioners or preachers were trustees, teachers, and principals of the school. Residents attended plays, lectures on Prohibition, and Home Demonstration
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2012
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17135.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 33° 14.466′ N, 97° 4.801′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Fishtrap Road east of Copper Creek Road, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located across the street from the Cooper Creek Baptist Church and adjacent to the Cooper Creek Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denton TX 76208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cooper Creek Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Cooper Creek Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gregory Road Bridge at Duck Creek (approx. 2.7 miles Donald Road Bridge At South Hickory Creek (approx. 2.7 miles away); Saint James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); University Gardens Texas Woman's University (approx. 2.9 miles away); The First Building of Texas Woman's University (approx. 3 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.