Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cooper Creek Baptist Church

 
 
Cooper Creek Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
1. Cooper Creek Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  

As early as 1872 Baptists in the Cooper Creek Community met for church in a building located close to the current structure. In 1916, L.F. "Tom" Collins donated land to the church to build a new sanctuary, which was completed the following year. In 1961, the congregation added a new steeple and entrance, and expanded into smaller buildings as its membership grew. The current sanctuary was constructed in 2000 on the original site of the 1917 white frame church, which had been moved across Fishtrap Road, east of the schoolhouse. For more than a hundred years, the Cooper Creek Church has been a sanctuary for the community and its current membership includes descendants of the original settling families.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17246.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 33° 14.463′ N, 97° 4.766′ W. Marker is in Denton
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Fishtrap Road east of Copper Creek Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 582 Fishtrap Road, Denton TX 76208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cooper Creek School (within shouting distance of this marker); Cooper Creek Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gregory Road Bridge at Duck Creek (approx. 2.7 miles away); Donald Road Bridge At South Hickory Creek (approx. 2.7 miles away); Saint James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); University Gardens Texas Woman's University (approx. 3 miles away); The First Building of Texas Woman's University (approx. 3 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
 
Cooper Creek Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
2. Cooper Creek Baptist Church Marker
Cooper Creek Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
3. Cooper Creek Baptist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=184581

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024