Denison in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Luke's Church
Denison's oldest house of worship and oldest Episcopal Sanctuary in Grayson County.
Site given by Denison Town Company and visitation by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first Bishop of Texas, in May 1873.
Cornerstone was laid in 1875 by the Rt. Rev. A.C. Garrett, Bishop of Missionary District of Northern Texas. Church was consecrated by him in 1876.
The original building forms nave of the present church.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11529.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 33° 45.397′ N, 96° 32.478′ W. Marker is in Denison, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Woodard Street and North Fannin Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Woodard Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 427 W Woodard Street, Denison TX 75020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet Forest Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Katy Park Rededication (approx. 0.4 miles away); Signal Company Texas 36th Inf. Div. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); North-South Railway Connection (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denison.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2021, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.