Greensburg in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
One Academy Hill Place
On this site in 1811 the original Greensburg Academy was erected. This private school for boys and girls, with its commanding view of downtown Greensburg, inspired the name of the surrounding hilltop community, Academy Hill. In 1850, a fire of unknown origin destroyed Greensburg Academy. Thereafter, the first public school to occupy Academy Hill was erected in 1862-63, with a subsequent school building erected in 1897. The existing school was erected in 1924. Thus, since 1862, this site continuously has provided facilities for public education in the City of Greensburg.
This plaque is a gift from Academy Hill Historic District to the Greensburg Salem School District and purchased with a grant from the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Erected 2002 by Academy Hill Historic District and Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is October 2002.
Location. 40° 18.381′ N, 79° 32.726′ W. Marker is in Greensburg Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Main Street, Greensburg PA 15601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arthur Saint Clair (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Train Station at Greensburg (about 700 feet away); Huff Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor (approx. ¼ mile away); Westmoreland County (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Greensburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
Also see . . . Academy Hill Historic District at Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 27, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.