Claxton in Evans County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 11, 1914, is named for Gen. Clement A. Evans, soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author, who died in 1911. He commanded Gordon`s old division in the last charge of the Army of Northern Virginia and surrendered under Lee at Appomattox `with guns still hot from firing until the last hour.` Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff T.W. Rogers, Ordinary W.H. Brewton, Clerk of Superior Court T.R. Tippins, Tax Receiver A.V. Smith, Tax Collector Daniel Sikes, Treasurer James S. Hogan and Surveyor A.D. Eason.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 054-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 11, 1792.
Location. 32° 9.686′ N, 81° 54.441′ W. Marker is in Claxton, Georgia, in Evans County. Marker is on W. Main St. (US 280, Ga 129 ) near Courthouse St., on the left when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Claxton GA 30417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dedicated to All Who Served (a few steps from this marker); Claxton First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The DeLoach House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bellville (approx. 4 miles away); Daisy United Methodist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Tattnall Campground (approx. 6½ miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Croatan Indian Community (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claxton.
Also see . . . Evans County. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry:
Almost entirely a product of the railroad age, Claxton, the seat of Evans County, was founded when the first railroad came through the area in the 1890s. (Submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.