Claxton in Evans County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Claxton First United Methodist Church
First organized church in Claxton, Georgia
First Pastor -- Rev. C.S.T. Strickland
Member's Name · Date Joined
Joseph M. Bradley, May 10, 1893
Mrs. Agnes Bradley Rogers, May 10, 1893
Willis F.M. Edwards, May 10, 1893
Hattie Edwards, May 10, 1893
Mrs. Ida Edwards Sconyers, May 10, 1893
Mrs. Virginia Edwards Hendrix, May 10, 1893
Mrs. Sallie Edwards Elmore, May 10, 1893
Henry R. Elmore, August 12, 1894
Mrs Ella Elmore Edwards, August 12, 1894
Mike T. Edwards, August 12, 1894
Pete Hendrix, August 12, 1894
Erected by the George Durrence Sunday School Class.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. A significant historical date for this entry is May 10, 1893.
Location. 32° 9.679′ N, 81° 54.658′ W. Marker is in Claxton, Georgia, in Evans County. Marker is on W. Main St. ( US 280, GA 129 ) near Spring St., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Claxton GA 30417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Dedicated to All Who Served (approx. 0.2 miles away); Evans County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellville (approx. 3.8 miles away); Daisy United Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 6.9 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 9.1 miles away); Croatan Indian Community (approx. 9.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old Sunbury Road (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claxton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,059 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.