Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Del Rio High School
Founded in 1868 on the edge of the Chuhuahuan Desert and just three miles from the Rio Grande, Del Rio began as an agricultural community. Early residents had access to intermittent schooling opportunities for their children. In the 1870s, the community used an adobe structure as a schoolhouse whenever a teacher was available. During the 1880s, children attended classes in a two-room, wood-frame building at Pecan and Greenwood streets. That decade brought significant changes to the community, as the Del Rio Common School District organized in 1884 and Val Verde County began the following year with Del Rio as the seat of government. In 1890, residents voted to create an independent school district, which included much of present-day Del Rio except for the San Felipe neighborhood, which created its own district.
Following creation of the Del Rio district, trustees approved a new school building at this site. Called Del Rio High School, or Secondary School, it housed classes through the tenth grade. By 1906, the district had divided into three campuses: the high school, Hill School (Northside Elementary) and an African American
'The Home of the Wildcats'
In honor of all of the faculty and students who graced the halls of our dear Del Rio High.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13260.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. 29° 21.611′ N, 100° 54.095′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Griner Street south of West Martin Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 Griner Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Del Rio (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers' Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Del Rio National Bank BuildingMax and Anna Stool (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canal System of Del Rio (approx. ¼ mile away); Elks Lodge Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 234 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.