Dillon in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Main Street Methodist Church
The first sanctuary here, a brick cruciform church in the Gothic Revival style, was designed by Charlotte architect Oliver D. Wheeler (1864–1942). Completed in 1914, it only stood seven months before it burned in January 1915. The congregation worshipped in the courthouse until a new church was built. Wheeler also designed the present sanctuary, which duplicates his original design and was completed in 1916.
Erected 2003 by the congregation. (Marker Number 17-13.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1915.
Location. 34° 24.93′ N, 79° 22.122′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 E Main St, Dillon SC 29536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Dillon / Florence Railroad Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Duncan McLaurin (approx. ¼ mile away); Dillon County / Dillon County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); James W. Dillon (approx. 0.4 miles away); James W. Dillon House Museum (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pee Dee Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Saint Paul Methodist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Vidalia Academy (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dillon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 806 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.