Gilroy in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Coyote Lake – Harvey Bear Ranch County Park
Martin Murphy Sr. brought his family to California as members of the Stephens- Murphy-Townsend Overland Party in 1844, and the family purchased and settled on the rancho to the north of Las Llagas, known as Rancho Ojo de Agua de la Coche. During the Gold Rush, Murphy's sons, John and Daniel, struck it rich, made a fortune selling dry goods, and established the town of Murphys. In 1848, the heirs of Carlos Castro sold Rancho Las Llagas to sons Daniel and Bernard.
By the 1850s, Daniel Murphy operated Las Llagas eventually owning 7,800 acres of the rancho. He also owned vast tracts of land elsewhere in California, Arizona, Nevada and Mexico. In 1851, Daniel married Mary Fisher; daughter of neighbor William Fisher, owner of the larger
The ranchos were subdivided after the 1890s with John Jay Baumgartner Jr. purchasing a portion of the earlier rancho lands in 1949. He built a home on the hill above the reservoir and later sold the ranch to Harvey Bear who raised his family and ran cattle there until his death. The heirs of Harvey Bear deeded the ranch to the Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation Department in 1997. Situated on the Calaveras Fault, the reservoir was approved for construction in 1934. The park opened on May 14, 2005 after many years of planning and development.
and the Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation Department
October 13, 2007
Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850
E Clampus Vitus Inc.
"Right Wrongs Nobody"
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 37° 5.968′ N, 121° 34.524′ W. Marker is in Gilroy, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from San Martin Avenue 2 miles east of U.S. 101. Marker is located at the Trailhead at the Coyote Lake-Harvey Bear Ranch County Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Martin CA 95046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneering Murphy Family (here, next to this marker); Community of San Martin (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rucker School Historical Site 1894 (approx. 3.2 miles away); Franklin Family Ranch (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of 21-Mile House (approx. 3.9 miles away); John Page House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Waiting For The Train (approx. 4.6 miles away); Morgan Hill United Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilroy.
Regarding Coyote Lake – Harvey Bear Ranch County Park.
Also see . . . Coyote Reservoir. (Submitted on May 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,677 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Reservoir • Can you help?