Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Trustee House

 
 
Trustee House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 6, 2021
1. Trustee House Marker
Inscription.  
The Trustee House, built in 1894 as faculty housing, was initially the home of chemistry department Chairman and three-time Acting President Mark B. Hardin. It was constructed by a predominantly African-American convict labor crew using bricks made from nearby clay soil. After Hardin's death in 1916, the building provided meeting space and overnight accommodations for the Board of Trustees, which accounts for its name, and accommodations for visiting dignitaries. During a 1918 flu epidemic, it was used as a temporary hospital. It was enlarged to its current size in 1956 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1990.

Established
1894

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

 
Erected by Clemson University.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansArchitectureEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 34° 40.715′ N, 82° 50.274′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Pickens County. Marker is on Fort Hill Street west of Calhoun Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 Fort Hill St, Clemson SC 29634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Hardin Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); First Woman Graduate (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Hill (about 300 feet away); Site of the First Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Clemson Agricultural College (about 300 feet away); Fort Hill Plantation Office (about 300 feet away); Walter T. Cox, Jr. (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Hill (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clemson.
 
Additional keywords. Forced labor; penal labor
 
Trustee House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 6, 2021
2. Trustee House Marker
Trustee House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 6, 2021
3. Trustee House
Clemson College Scene image. Click for full size.
Unknown via Clemson University Libraries / Fair use, circa 1914
4. Clemson College Scene
This photograph, taken from the Main Building, shows the Trustee House (left) and Barracks No. 2 and 3 (right).
Clemson University Historic District II image. Click for more information.
via NPS, unknown
5. Clemson University Historic District II
National Register of Historic Places Digital Archive on NPGallery website entry
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 161 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 6, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   5. submitted on January 5, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185354

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024