Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Saratoga Springs in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saving The Springs

 
 
Saving The Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 6, 2021
1. Saving The Springs Marker
Inscription.  The tranquil woodlands that surround you now once resembled an industrial park. The springs were exploited for their carbonic gas during the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many companies, including the Geyser Natural Carbonic Acid Gas Company and the Champion Natural Gas Company had set up gas extraction plants, factory buildings and huge water tanks. They pumped thousands of gallons of water each day to extract the gas for sale to soda manufacturers.

The gas extraction plants operated as many as 200 wells in the area. The amount of water being pumped from the ground eventually took its toll on the quality and flow of the mineral springs of Saratoga, and they began to run dry. A local Committee of Concerned Citizens successfully lobbied the State Legislature for the preservation of the springs, resulting in the introduction of the Anti-Pumping Act of 1908 by Assemblyman Whitney and Senator Brackett. The gas companies challenged this Act in the courts and continued pumping as litigation proceeded.

The Committee of Concerned Citizens, led by Spencer Trask, pleaded with the Legislature to bring all of the springs under State control
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to ensure their survival. They were successful, and in 1909 the State Reservation was created and the springs were saved from exploitation. The gas companies were shut down and many of the wells were capped. It took many years for the remaining springs to regain their normal flow.
 
Erected by Saratoga Spa State Park.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 43° 3.09′ N, 73° 48.333′ W. Marker is near Saratoga Springs, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker can be reached from Geyser Loop Road. The marker is along the Vale of Springs foot trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saratoga Springs NY 12866, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hall of Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saratoga State Seal Waters (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln Bathhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); Saratoga’s Spouting Springs (approx. 1.3 miles away); Saratoga County Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Saratoga Springs Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gideon Putnam Burying Grounds (approx. 2 miles away); The Deer Park Spring (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saratoga Springs.
 
Additional keywords.
Saving The Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 6, 2021
2. Saving The Springs Marker
Saratoga Springs SPAC
 
Saving The Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 6, 2021
3. Saving The Springs Marker
Saving The Springs - Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 6, 2021
4. Saving The Springs - Marker Detail
Saving The Springs - Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 6, 2021
5. Saving The Springs - Marker Detail
Saving The Springs - Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 6, 2021
6. Saving The Springs - Marker Detail
The Island Spouter in the 1930s
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2021, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 8, 2021, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185514

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024