Antioch in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Antioch Fibreboard Company
Dedicated to the men and women who worked at the Antioch Fibreboard Company
Founded in 1889 by M.D. Keeney and Sons and known as Enterprise Paper Mill.
Purchased in 1900 by Brown brothers. Destroyed by fire in 1912 and rebuilt. Purchased in 1912 by Parafine Paint Company Inc. and operated as the California Paper and Board Mill. Destroyed by fire in 1918 and rebuilt and operated until 1972.
This mill contributed largely to the town's economy.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 38° 0.999′ N, 121° 49.202′ W. Marker is in Antioch, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of L Street and West Second Street, on the left when traveling north on L Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 L Street, Antioch CA 94509, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Antioch War Dog Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cannery Lady (approx. 0.2 miles away); The McCoy Cook House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Antioch High School Cupola (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Antioch's Railroads (approx. 0.3 miles away); F & AM - Antioch-Brentwood Lodge #175 Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Riverview Union High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Woman's Club of Antioch (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Antioch.
Also see . . . Annals of Antioch revisited and revised (The Press, January 4, 2011). Article discussing a trio of minor errors on local plaques and mural.
Excerpt: 'The third mistake Bohakel pointed out was on a plaque outside the police station dedicated to those who worked at the Antioch Fibreboard Company. The plaque states that the building, which operated until 1972, was purchased in 1900 by the “Brown Brothers.” However, Bohakel found that official documents show it was purchased by Peter Brown and Sons in 1902.'(Submitted on November 13, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 336 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2021, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.