Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bowling Green in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Gas Plant, 1906

 
 
Gas Plant, 1906 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, November 12, 2021
1. Gas Plant, 1906 Marker
Inscription.  Drilling a well for suitable drinking water was perhaps the single most difficult task for the managers of the infirmary. On August 29, 1884, male infirmary workers drilled a 242-foot well looking for water, but instead discovered natural gas. By February 4, 1885, the Wood County Commissioners gave permission to drill for more natural gas, eventually digging ten separate wells. By December 1886, the Wood County Commissioners ordered natural gas be used inside the infirmary for the boiler, stoves, and to light the building. This went on until January 1904 when the natural gas supply went dry necessitating the switch to an acetylene gas system for lighting.

On April 15, 1906, the Wood County Commissioners requested a structure built on infirmary grounds to enclose an acetylene gas machine. Acetylene gas was only used until May 28, 1917, when the Domestic Engineering Company of Dayton installed a DelcO Lighting System for $800. On January 23, 1922, the Ohio Northern Public Service installed an electric lighting system for $600.

Fun Fact

Acetylene generators were self-contained
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
devices where pellets of calcium carbide were dropped into water. Gas was captured in a "bell” that would rise and fall with the pressure of the gas, then piped into the infirmary.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1904.
 
Location. 41° 21.021′ N, 83° 37.003′ W. Marker is in Bowling Green, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on County Home Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowling Green OH 43402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wood County Museum (here, next to this marker); Boiler House, 1898 (a few steps from this marker); Ice House, 1905 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pestilence House 1933 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cisterns, Ponds, and Privies (within shouting distance of this marker); Lunatic Asylum 1885 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicken Coop, Wash House, and Wood Shed, 1873 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
 
Gas Plant, 1906 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, November 12, 2021
2. Gas Plant, 1906 Marker
Gas Plant, 1906 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, November 12, 2021
3. Gas Plant, 1906 Marker
Gas Plant, 1906 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, November 12, 2021
4. Gas Plant, 1906 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185789

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024