Arlington in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Foot of the Rocks
This park is dedicated by the people of Arlington to the memory of Colonial Minutemen and British soldiers who met here in the first great battle of the Revolutionary War.
British troops in retreat from bloody first skirmishes at Lexington and Concord were here opposed by colonial forces gathering from four counties and thirty towns. More men fell at the foot of the rocks and on the plains of Menotomy than in every other locale through which the adversary forces fought that long day, April 19, 1775.
The valor of all those who fell and those who fought on, consecrated the foot of the rocks in 1775. We dedicate this field to their memory so that their courage will be remembered.
April 19, 1978
Erected 1978 by Arlington Bicentennial Planning Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 42° 25.445′ N, 71° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington MA 02474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Foot of the Rocks (here, next to this marker); Arlington Reservoir (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jason Russell House (approx. 1.2 miles away); House of John Cutter (approx. 1.2 miles away); Robbins Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Captain Cooke’s Mill Lane (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Men of Menotomy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Whittemore Park (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Also see . . . Battle at Lexington Green, 1775. The Start of the American Revolution and the "shot heard round the world." from EyeWitness to History.com. (Submitted on May 3, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,437 times since then and 177 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on January 2, 2016, by Jack Clarke of Arlington, Massachusetts.