Biddeford in York County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Biddeford City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville
— The Museum in the Streets® —
Biddeford became a city in 1855. The city government met in the Somes Building on Washington and Main Streets. When the Central Block burned down in 1858, it had been thel largest wooden building north of Boston. It contained Beethoven Hall, sevral store fronts, and the Union and Journal newspapers. In 1860, the city decided to rebuild in order to replace the lost businesses and gain a home of its own. It bought the land on the corner of Main and South Streets and erected a Napoleon III-style building complete with a mansard roof and an Opera House. This building burned down to the first floor in 1894. Architect John Calvin Stevens saved the first floor to cut costs and he greatly improved the utility and the appearance of the impressive building.
Erected 2006 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Biddeford, Maine series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 43° 29.621′ N, 70° 27.377′ W. Marker is in Biddeford, Maine, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Lincoln Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 Main St, Biddeford ME 04005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Opera House / La Salle de L'Opéra (here, next to this marker); The Lincoln Street Mill and Clock Tower / La Filature Et Sa Tour Sur La Rue Lincoln (a few steps from this marker); Biddeford, MaineThe Thacher Hotel / L'Hôtel Thacher (within shouting distance of this marker); Painchaud Band / La Fanfare Painchaud (within shouting distance of this marker); Journal Building in 1916 / Le Bâtiment du Journal Quododien en 1916 (within shouting distance of this marker); John E. Maxson (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Biddeford.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.