Biddeford in York County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
St. Joseph's Church / L'Église St. Joseph
— The Museum in the Streets® —
The organization of St. Joseph's Church was begun by Rev. Jean-François Ponsardin, January 5, 1870, under Bishop Bcon's orders to organize a French-Canadian parish in Biddeford. The old Methodist Church on Alfred Street was used from 1870 to 1873. Previously, St. Mary's Church was the only Catholic church in this vicinity.
Construction began in 1873. In October 1874, the first mass was celebrated in the church basement. In 1879, Rev. Pierre-Emmanuel Dupont, inset photo, came to Biddeford to succeed father Ponsardin and with father Dupont taking charge rapid progress was made and the church was completed in 1883. The church is Gothic in style with a 235-foot steele topped with a gilded cross. Three bells were added to its spire in 1900: the "Marie Joseph Ann" 2,400 lbs., the "Michele Pierre Léon XIII" 1,200 lbs, and the "Thérèse Angèle Jean-Baptiste" 700 lbs.
En 1873, la construction de la vaste Église St Joseph fut commencée. Le soubassement fut immédiatement occupé par les paroissiens où l'on dit la première messe 1874. En 1879, le Rév. Pierre-Emanuel Dupont, en portrait, succéda au Père Jean-François Ponsardin et depuis ce temps la paroisse St. Joseph jouit d'une ère de progrèse et de prospérité. L'église fut immédiatement occupé par les paroissiens où l'on dit la première messe 1874. En 1879, le Rév. Pierre-Emmanuel Dupont, en portrait, succéda au Père Jean-François Ponsardin et depuis ce temps la paroisse St. Joseph jouit d'une ère de progrès et de prospérité. L'église fut consacrée et de en mai 1883 par l'Évêque Healey. Elle est du style gothique avec un clocher de 235 pieds de hauteur. Trois cloches y furent ajoutés en 1900: le "Marie Joseph Anne," le "Michel Pierre Léon XIII," et le "Thérèse Angèle Jean-Baptiste."
Erected 2006 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 23.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Communications. Historic Bells, and the The Museum in the Streets®: Biddeford, Maine series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is January 5, 1870.
Location. 43° 29.622′ N, 70° 27.642′ W. Marker is in Biddeford, Maine, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street (U.S. 1) and Center Street, on the right when traveling west on Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 183 Elm St, Biddeford ME 04005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Society Saint Jean-Baptiste de Bienfaisance / La Société Saint Jean-Baptiste de Bienfaisance (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McArthur Library / La Bibliothèque McArthur (about 700 feet away); St. Mary's Church / L'Église St. Mary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tracy House / La Maison Tracy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); John E. Maxson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Opera House / La Salle de L'Opéra (approx. ¼ mile away); Biddeford City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Biddeford.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.