Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oldest House

 
 
Oldest House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 10, 2021
1. Oldest House Marker
Inscription.  One of Fort Stockton's earliest remaining homes, the "Oldest House", is believed to have been built between 1855 and 1860 to serve as quarters for Camp Stockton's sutler (civilian merchant) J. D. Holiday. The "U" shaped footprint is typical of adobe buildings of the period, as rooms were added over time. During the Civil War the building served as a shelter for travelers and stagecoach passengers on the San Antonio/El Paso Trails. The Fort Stockton Historical Society now owns the building and is taking steps to preserve the current ruins.

Caption
Oldest House, intact with cistern visible in front yard - date unknown
 
Erected by Historic Fort Stockton Driving Tour and Fort Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 30° 52.852′ N, 102° 52.824′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is at the intersection of South Nelson Street and West Sherer Street, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling south on South Nelson Street. The marker is located at the intersection with available parking. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 South Nelson Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Oldest House (a few steps from this marker); Telegraph Office & School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old School and Telegraph Office (about 300 feet away); Pecos County Korea and Vietnam Memorial (about 500 feet away); Historic Old Jail (about 500 feet away); Pecos County's Contribution 1917 - to the World War - 1919 (about 500 feet away); Fort Stockton (about 600 feet away); Pecos County World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
 
Also see . . .  Sutler.
A sutler or victualer is a civilian merchant who sells provisions to an army in the field, in camp, or in quarters. Sutlers sold wares from the back of a wagon or a temporary tent, traveling with an army or to remote military outposts. Sutler wagons were associated with the military, while chuck wagons served a similar purpose for civilian wagon trains and outposts. Source: Wikipedia
(Submitted on November 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Oldest House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 10, 2021
2. The Oldest House and Marker
The view of the “Oldest House” in Fort Stockton from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 10, 2021
3. The view of the “Oldest House” in Fort Stockton from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 114 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186258

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024