St. Marks in Wakulla County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The City of St. Marks
This 1800's sketch shows early development around Fort San Marcos de Apalachee at the confluence of the St. Marks and Wakulla Rivers. In 1833, the citizens left this swampy land and moved inland. Today, St. Marks is one of the oldest settlements in the state and the only city on either the St. Marks or Wakulla Rivers. See back for more information.
Five flags, as depicted in the historic St. Marks logo, have flown over this area. The Spanish flag was carried by explorers Narvaez (1528) and De Soto (1539). The British held the territory for 20 years (1763-1783), followed by the Second Spanish Period. In 1800, William Augustus Bowles flew the Muskogee flag for a few months after capturing both the Panton, Leslie and Company trading post and Fort San Marcos. In 1821, Spain transferred Florida to the United States in accordance with the Adams-Otis Treaty of 1819. During the Civil War, the Confederate flag was flown. During the early days, the port at St. Marks was critical for transport of people and goods for European exploration, for Spanish missions and for trading with the local Indians. In 1827,
Erected by NOAA, Waterfront Florida, Florida Department of Community
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 30° 9.451′ N, 84° 12.286′ W. Marker is in St. Marks, Florida, in Wakulla County. Marker is at the intersection of Port Leon Drive (Florida Route 363) and West Pine Street, on the right when traveling south on Port Leon Drive. Marker is on the grounds of city hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 788 Port Leon Drive, Saint Marks FL 32355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Marks Bike Trail Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bo Lynn's Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Leon (approx. ¼ mile away); Telltale Bones (approx. ¼ mile away); Tallahassee - St. Marks Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away); San Marcos de Apalache (approx. half a mile away); Fort St. Marks Military Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Fort San Marcos de Apalache (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marks.
Also see . . . St. Marks, Florida. (Submitted on November 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.