Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stephenville in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First National Bank Building

 
 
First National Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
1. First National Bank Building Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1889 to house the city's first bank, this is the earliest of three structures on the town square designed by prominent San Antonio architect J. Riely Gordon. It features elaborate stonework and large arches typical of Romanesque Revival architecture and a Queen Anne style tower and pedimented entrance. The bank, organized by C.J. Shapard and with assets in excess of $158,000 by 1893, merged with Farmers National Bank in 1925 due to depressed oil and cattle prices.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1785.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 32° 13.183′ N, 98° 12.155′ W. Marker is in Stephenville, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is at the intersection of South Belknap Street and West College Street, on the left when traveling north on South Belknap Street. The marker is located on the right side of the front entrance to the bank. Touch for map
The front entrance to the First National Bank Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
2. The front entrance to the First National Bank Building and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 South Belknap Street, Stephenville TX 76401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dawson Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Erath County CSA War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Erath County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Lest We Forget (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephenville Drug Stores (within shouting distance of this marker); Erath County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Crow Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1997 National Champion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stephenville.
 
Also see . . .  James Riely Gordon.
James Riely Gordon (August 2, 1863 – March 16, 1937) was an architect who practiced in San Antonio until 1902 and then in New York City, where he gained national recognition. J. Riely Gordon is best known for his landmark county courthouses, in particular those in Texas. Working during the state's "Golden Age" (1883–1898) of courthouse construction, Gordon saw 18 of his designs erected from 1885 to 1901; today 12 remain. Source: Wikipedia
(Submitted on November 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the First National Bank Building from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
3. The view of the First National Bank Building from across the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186527

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 30, 2022