Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stephenville in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Stephenville Drug Stores

 
 
Stephenville Drug Stores Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
1. Stephenville Drug Stores Marker
Inscription.  Local drug stores were an important and essential part of the economy and well-being of early Texas towns. This site at the corner of Washington and Belknap streets served as the location of a series of Stephenville drug stores from 1899 until 1994. The original proprietor was F.A. Schnabel, who contracted for this building to be built in October 1897, and hauled the brick for the building from the new brick plant in nearby Thurber. Schnabel operated the business until 1905, when he sold it to Frank S. White. Subsequent owners of the pharmacy were Swan Richardson, Daniel and Louise D'Arcy, Bill Riddick, John Baker, and finally, Eckerd Drug Company.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15760.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1897.
 
Location. 32° 13.21′ N, 98° 12.176′ W. Marker is in Stephenville, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street (Business U.S. 377) and South Belknap Street, on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
east on West Washington Street. The marker is located on the corner of the drug store. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Washington Street, Stephenville TX 76401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crow Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lest We Forget (within shouting distance of this marker); Erath County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Erath County CSA War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1997 National Champion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dawson Saloon (about 300 feet away); Erath County Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stephenville.
 
Stephenville Drug Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
2. Stephenville Drug Store and Marker
The view of the Stephenville Drug Store from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
3. The view of the Stephenville Drug Store from the street
The view of the Stephenville Drug Store and the courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 22, 2021
4. The view of the Stephenville Drug Store and the courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186562

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024