Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town Square
The square has also been in continuous use as public property -- County Courthouses (1st c.1810-1844; 2nd 1845-1907), City Hall (1909-1916), Town Park (1917-1930), and U.S. Post Offices (1931). A year later, the City sold the property to the federal government but negotiated its use as a park until construction commenced on the post office.
Public accessories and amenities have long adored the square. The 1856 Braswell Monument anchors the west corner. On the prominent north corner stood the town “Market” (1851-c.1885), a Victorian gazebo (c.1901), and later the city “Police Shack” (c.1950-75). The 1908 Cooke Fountain was also sited here (1925-31) when street paving began.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1809.
Location. 33° 35.733′ N, 83° 28.05′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 278) and East Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on North Main Street. The marker stands near the southwest corner of the town square, near the Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Banking Institutions (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison (within shouting distance of this marker); Civic Advancement (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (within shouting distance of this marker); William Tappan Thompson (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodging Establishments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan County (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding The Town Square. The Cooke Fountain and the Gazebo, which as noted on the marker once stood in the Town Square, have been recreated in the nearby Town Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on November 24, 2021, by Bill Witherspoon of Decatur, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.