Forsyth in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Georgia Volunteers Memorial
Quitman Guards Co. K 1st. Reg.
Confederate Volunteers Co. A 14th Reg.
Monroe Crowders Co. D 31st Reg.
Monroe Volunteers Co. H 32nd Reg.
Rutland Volunteers Co. B 45th Reg.
McCowen Guards Co. D 45th Reg.
Quitman Guards Co. K 53rd Reg.
Erected 1908 by Ladies Memorial Association; and the Cabiness Chapter # 415, United Daughters of The Confederacy.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list.
Location. 33° 2.09′ N, 83° 56.318′ W. Marker is in Forsyth, Georgia, in Monroe County. Memorial is at the intersection of North Lee Street (Route 83) and West Johnston Street, on the right when traveling south on North Lee Street. Memorial and marker are located beside the sidewalk at the northeast corner of the Monroe County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Courthouse Square, Forsyth GA 31029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Forsyth Courthouse Square National Historic District (a few steps from this marker); The Honorable Hugh D. Sosebee (within shouting distance of this marker); Forsyth (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County (Ga.) Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Where Uncle Remus Came of Age (about 300 feet away); James Dry Cleaners (about 500 feet away); James Record Shop (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forsyth.
Also see . . . Frederick C. Hibbard, Sculptor.
Hibbard used the American Bronze Company five times: possibly for his first statue, The Pioneer, Kansas; The Confederate Monument, Forsyth, Georgia, in 1907; The Carter Harrison Statue, Chicago in 1907; The Hinds County Confederate Monument, commissioned around 1907; and the McLean County Soldiers and Sailors Civil War Monument, Bloomington, Illinois. By the end of World War I, Frederick C. Hibbard had designed and produced three of the most famous outdoor sculptures in the United States: The Confederate Monument on the battlefield at Shiloh; The Eagle on the portico of the Illinois Monument, Vicksburg; and the equestrian statue of General Ulysses S. Grant in(Submitted on November 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.