Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Bell House / Robert McDuffie Center for Strings

/ Historic Macon Music Registry

 
 
The Bell House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 20, 2021
1. The Bell House Marker
Inscription.  [First plaque]
315 College Street
Macon, Georgia
With grateful appreciation
to
Gus H. Bell, III, and Family
Savannah, Georgia
for their generous gift to Mercer University
of this magnificent building
in memory
of
Amanda Hancock Morris Bell
Loving wife, mother and grandmother
Dedicated April 10, 2008

[Second plaque]
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

[Third plaque]
Robert McDuffie Center for Strings
World-renowned
classical strings
institute of Mercer
University

 
Erected by Mercer University (first plaque) • The Charles Cox Family Trust (third plaque).
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 32° 50.57′ N, 83° 38.268′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on College Street south of Stewarts Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 College St, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hippie Crash Pad (within shouting distance of this marker); Gresham-Adams House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dick Wooley's Home (about 500 feet away); Historic Macon (about 600 feet away); Duane Allman's Home (about 600 feet away); Wet Willie House (about 700 feet away); Randolph-Whittle House (about 800 feet away); Hatcher-Groover-Schwartz House (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
Regarding The Bell House / Robert McDuffie Center for Strings. Excerpt from the National Register nomination for the house:
Originally built by Nathan H. Beall in 1860 , in 1865 the house was sold to Leonidas H. Jordan, who in turn sold it to his wife's father, Captain Samuel S. Dunlap. Captain Dunlap had organized and commanded the Bibb County Cavalry during the War Between the States and was seriously wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Following the War, Captain Dunlap returned to Macon where he became one of the city's most successful businessmen and served two terms as a City Alderman, 1879-1882. The next year Dunlap was elected
The Bell House Marker (supplemental) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 20, 2021
2. The Bell House Marker (supplemental)
as director of the Macon & Florida Airline Company which proposed to build a railroad from Macon to Gainesville, Florida, for the purpose of transporting agricultural products. This railroad, along with others being built during this era, played an important role in the growth of the City of Macon and the State of Georgia.

 
Also see . . .
1. Lassiter House. National Register nomination (PDF) and photographs (PDF) submitted for the house under the name of its sixth owner (1940-1967). (Submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 

2. Hidden History: The Bell House's ties to the Allman Brothers, Beall family, and Mercer University. News article and television report on the house's long and varied history. (By Madilyn Harrell, WMAZ-TV, posted April 29, 2021) (Submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 

3. The Bell House, an important historical landmark in Macon, is the home of the McDuffie Center for St. Brief history of the structure. (Mercer University) (Submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
Robert McDuffie Center for Strings Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 20, 2021
3. Robert McDuffie Center for Strings Marker
The Bell House/Robert McDuffie Center for Strings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, November 20, 2021
4. The Bell House/Robert McDuffie Center for Strings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186630

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 11, 2023