Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1939 by Sidney Lanier Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 24, 1887.
Location. 32° 50.46′ N, 83° 38.059′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Bond Street, on the right when traveling west on Georgia Avenue. Marker is in front on Mercer University's Walter F. George School of Law. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1021 Georgia Ave, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harris-Hall-Bennett House (a few steps from this marker); P.L. Hay House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cowles-Bond House (about 300 feet away); Temple Beth Israel (about 700 feet away); Historic Macon (about 800 feet away); Judge Asa Holt House (about 800 feet away); Fencing from Findlay Foundry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dick Wooley's Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Regarding Jefferson Davis. It was the Davis family's final visit to Macon. The house, originally known as the Cowles-Bond House, became a private school in 1960 and was later acquired by Mercer University. The university renamed it Woodruff House in honor of George W. Woodruff, who provided for its restoration.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 24, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.