Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Frontier Colonial Home

 
 
Frontier Colonial Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 2, 2019
1. Frontier Colonial Home Marker
Inscription.  With classic porch. Oldest house in Montgomery, built 1845 by settler from Connecticut, Dr. E.J. Arnold. Earlier home log cabin built on this lot in 1835, continued in use as doctor's office. For several generations home of Simonton family, descendants of the builder.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Entered in
the National Register
of Historic Places
1979

 
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7901.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
 
Location. 30° 23.535′ N, 95° 41.405′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Clepper Drive and Bessie Price Owen Drive, on the left when traveling east on Clepper Drive. The marker is located on the southern section of the Fernland Historical Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 770 Clepper Drive, Montgomery TX 77356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crane Family Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); James Jordan (Jardine) Log House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Montgomery Town Goat (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town of Montgomery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Montgomery County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Montgomery County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles Bellinger Stewart (approx. 0.4 miles away); First State Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Also see . . .  Montgomery, TX.
In 1850 it had Baptist and Methodist churches, a Masonic lodge, a private school, a new courthouse, and two physicians, E. J. Arnold and J. H. Price. In the 1850s a yellow fever epidemic reduced the population. With the Civil War and Reconstruction, the political and economic power in Montgomery County shifted away from Montgomery.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on November 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on November 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186665

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 30, 2021