Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 32° 50.46′ N, 83° 38.336′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Jefferson Terrace west of Georgia Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1231 Jefferson Ter, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walter T. Johnson House (a few steps from this marker); Site: Wesleyan College (within shouting distance of this marker); Wesleyan College (within shouting distance of this marker); Wet Willie House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gresham-Adams House (about 400 feet away); Hatcher-Groover-Schwartz House (about 500 feet away); The Bell House / Robert McDuffie Center for Strings (about 800 feet away); Emmett Miller Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Regarding Randolph-Whittle House.
It was built in 1837 by Dr. Richard H. Randolph who sold it in 1853 to Lewis H. Whittle.
Whittle was an outstanding railroad man, having been assistant engineer of the first train from Macon to Forsyth, and a few years later was elected president of The Monroe Railroad and Banking Company. Whittle was also active in politics, serving as a City Councilman and as a state legislator.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.