Athens in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Henderson County Pottery Industry
Industry was reactivated in 1885 by M. K. Miller, who with his sons, started the Athens Pottery Company, first of many tile, brick, and pottery plants in the area.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10373.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 32° 11.49′ N, 95° 51.134′ W. Marker is in Athens, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on South Palestine Street (State Highway 19) 0.2 miles north of East Cayuga Drive (Farm to Market Road 59), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens TX 75751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Machinery From First Factory in Athens (here, next to this marker); J.B. Henry (a few steps from this marker); Athens (a few steps from this marker); Henderson County (a few steps from this marker); Henderson County C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Matthews McDonald (approx. half a mile away); Athens Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dulcinea Ann Holland Thompson Avriett (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.